Friday, November 25, 2011

First Project Reflection - Appropriation Image

After many hours working on this project, I have completed my first digital image:


I have titled the piece Clouds: Upside Down.  Looking at the finished product, I cannot help but think about the process that led me to it.  It was fairly smooth overall, but I did encounter a few snags.  My main problem at first was the fact that I was not willing to adapt my original idea.  I wanted it to turn out about like this, especially with the strong orange palette of the industrial (right-side up) world in the image.  However, I wanted my idealistic mountain lake scene to be in color.  I wanted the setting sun in the industrial portion to be mirrored by a rising sun in the mountains.
This goes to show, sometimes the best thing for a piece of art is to finally accept one's circumstances.  I kept trying to force the image into what I mentioned above.  I could not find pictures that would go together, no matter what I did.  Finally, I gave up and converted the mountains to black and white.  This not only made the images work together, but also I think it does a lot to help the message of the piece.  The variety of grey tones sets the mountain scene apart from the silhouetted, sinister industrial landscape.  It effectively communicates how upside-down the landscape is in reality, and how unfortunate such a world would be.
My favorite part of the process was when I finally let go of my first vision, and brought all of the pieces above together.  Once I had these elements, I could really see what my image would become.  All that was necessary at that point was making sure the various images worked together visually, which is something I find incredibly satisfying.  Seeing any artwork come together is exciting, and once I reached the point where I was considering lighting effects I knew that I was close to being finished.  I am very satisfied with how this project turned out, and I cannot wait until we begin our next assignment.

-Kelly F. 

No comments:

Post a Comment