The net assignment in our digital imaging class is to invent some device or object that no one has seen before. Fortunately, this invention does not necessarily have to work in the real world. We will create a 3D model of it in Google SketchUp, and then merge this with a 2D image of ourselves using or interacting with our inventions. As inspiration for how to blend 3D graphics with 2D images, our class was shown the following video:
http://vimeo.com/7993383
This is a beautiful video, with a sense of something surreal being injected into a real occurrence. The cinematography appeals to me, because it transforms the every day into the extraordinary. It begins as any video documenting the work or antics of friends might, feeling almost thrown together and rushed. This creates immediacy and intimacy, as though the viewers are having this shared with them because they are close to the people in the film. The use occasional use of soft focus gives the impression of something spectacular, something that must be re-focused on in order to understand it. I keep returning to the idea of intimacy - what I love about this filming technique is that it makes the viewer feel like a conspirator.
My favorite part of the work, however, is the way that the boxes completely break the laws of reality and expectation, yet still seem to fit within the scene. That is precisely what I would like to accomplish with my own project - an invention that defies reality, but that is made to look plausible in real space. I suppose I am a surrealist at heart, as I may have hinted above. I like to put the impossible into action, because it fires the imagination and creates a sense of something almost like magic. The boxes accomplish this wonderfully, and I can only hope that I will manage to do so in my own image.
-Kelly F.
No comments:
Post a Comment